Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Treasure Hunt

Yesterday's forecast said we would be having another beautiful day, so Mom had planned a special activity for us. After the whales were measured and breakfast was eaten, we headed out for a treasure hunt!

The other day Mom painted the insides of two egg cartons with lots of different colors. The idea was that Jack and I could wander around our local walking trails and find treasures from nature in the same colors painted in our egg cartons where they could live for safe keeping.
"Hunting eyes" on, we were ready! Jack wasn't exactly sure what to do, so I had to be an example.
This is my "colored box" as it was starting to fill up! Here's what I found for some of my colors: white-a goose feather and rock; brown-a seed pod and tiny stick; purple-a dried up pansy; red-a bottle cap; orange-a leaf and piece of caution tape; and yellow-a seed pod.
Since we were almost there anyway, we headed to the cafe for a pick-me-up snack. Travis was playing the banjo, so I sat right down and listened. Then I danced a little bit while Travis played and sang a song about children. It was especially nice to hear the banjo because earlier in the week, Mom and I had been making a chart to show how many strings different stringed instruments have. (FYI-the banjo has five!)
Jack wanted to be outside, so he sat with Dad and/or Mom and Norah while I was inside listening to the music.
We ended up having a great Saturday morning!

2 comments:

Zona Wilson said...

Okay, WOW. Where did that completely nifty idea come from with the egg cartons? Very very cool. And that's a special cafe where a banjo player sings to little boy customers. What a nice day!

Laura said...

I agree with Zona - what an awesome idea for a treasure hunt!!