Friday, May 16, 2008

Letters and the SNAKE

Yes, that's right! On our adventures today we came across a snake. But more on that later...

Mommy and I have been a bit behind on our correspondence lately, so we decided this morning was a good time to catch up. Mommy wrote first, and then I had my turn. After the envelopes were licked (my favorite part) and stamped, we headed downtown for a walk that would take us by the mailbox where I could mail my letters.
After we took care of the letters, we continued our walk down the street and towards the water. Looking at water is one of my favorite things, and there was a new spot to check out. Upon our arrival at the new spot, we discovered that the spot had been discovered by a snake! Oh my--that Mommy of mine gave me quite the scare! Apparently the snake got scared, too, because he slithered right back into his hole. Thank goodness Mommy remembered that she is the mother of two boys and that boys kind of like icky things like snakes. I told Mommy to get the snake out of the hole so I could see it again. Mommy wasn't about to do that, but she said that if we walked away and waited a while, the snake would probably come out, then we could sneak up on the snake and maybe get another good look at him.

We walked away and checked out a few more things. Mommy thought maybe enough time had passed, so we headed back to see if we could sneak up on that icky snake! Sure enough, there he was. We quickly took a picture.Since we were quiet, the snake didn't seem to mind us watching him bask in the sun. However, just watching was getting rather boring, so I asked Mommy if the snake was going to go back into his hole. Mommy said she didn't know, but she might be able to get him back in. She found a rock and threw it at the ground next to the snake. Sure enough, he scrammed right back into that hole!

"YUCK!," said Mommy as we walked away! I thought it was all rather exciting, and I hope we see another snake one of these days.

3 comments:

Ava said...

This sounds like quite the adventure...eeeek!

Amy said...

That is so cool, Jamey...maybe even cooler than the snails and slugs I showed to Jonathan today.

Anonymous said...

Henry,
If you come to Iowa you have a cousin here who has a whole basement filled with snakes.
Love,
Aunt Elizabeth