Sunday, November 20, 2005

My Dedication

My parents attend church on Saturday nights. You see, they are not morning people, and quite frankly, they couldn't make it to church on a Sunday morning even if you promised them millions! Until I came along, they had probably never seen the sun rise. Good thing I'm here--they were missing out on quite a bit!

Anyway, the church they attend has baby dedications twice a year and last night was one of the nights. Mommy and Daddy signed me up, put on my outfit from Uncle Jim and Aunt Linda, grabbed the blanket my Great-Great Grandma Hiett made for me, and we were off to the dedication! (Yep, once again, Mommy had to bring all the sentimental stuff along with us--the outfit, the blanket, etc.)

Mommy and Daddy had sent pictures to the church ahead of time so everyone could see how cute I am. While they were showing my slide, Uncle Seth's voice (Mommy and Daddy wrote the words) was saying the following:

"Our sweet Henry James--You are named after two people we love--your great-great grandfather and great uncle--two men who loved God and people. We desire to pass on this heritage and encourage you to walk with God and invest in people.

Proverbs 3:5-6 has become a very meaningful verse to us. We have had to trust the Lord throughout our pregnancy, your birth, and this first month of life because we don't always understand why things are the way they are. Not only has this verse taken on new meaning for us as parents, it is also our prayer for you--that this verse would become real to you. We pray that, at an early age, you would choose to trust in the Lord, that you would acknowledge Him, and allow Him to direct your paths.

We are looking forward to getting to know you as we watch you grow."


Mommy and Daddy wanted to have me dedicated because they recognize that I'm not really their's, but instead I'm a gift God has given them. They also know someday I will be making my own choices about life, and while they hope I make good choices, Mommy and Daddy will love me and pray for me regardless of the choices I make. They already love me and pray with me, so I think we're off to a good start.

After the pictures were finished, our pastor (his name is Chip and he really likes college football), said some nice things to Mommy and Daddy and prayed for me. Then, the ladies who will take care of me in the nursery when I'm older, gave Mommy a rose and Daddy a book. And the dedication was over; I could eat again! (And just between you and me--that was my FAVORITE part--the food afterwards!)

Mommy and Daddy's friend Elizabeth took this picture of us (below) after the service. We think we're a pretty nice little family. Our church doesn't let dogs come inside; that's why Norah isn't in the picture. But hopefully someday soon our church will recognize that Norah is more than a pet.

1 comment:

Joy said...

What precious pictures! I'm so sad we had to miss it. I love this one of the 3 of you...what a sweet, happy family. You all look GREAT!